Monday, May 15, 2006

Sierra Springtime


The first mate--skilled at spotting ducks, beavers and floating sticks when he's not napping

What I love about Springtime in the Sierra: sunshine, blue skies, light afternoon breezes, long days, mild nights, corn snow, and no crowds.
My wife, BAXTER and I launched the kayak this weekend on Lake Tahoe and did a big paddle to King's Beach and back for a picnic on Saturday. A nice headwind on the return ensured a better than expected workout!
Sunday we went for a morning paddle when the WHOLE lake was like a sheet of glass. We paddled past Tahoe City and found a couple of nice hidden beaches. Then we came back and took a jacuzzi, made a picnic lunch, loaded up the skis and went up to Tahoe Meadows. At the trailhead ( elev. 8,300 ft) there's about 6 feet of base snow remaining. That's pretty extraordinary for this time of year! I had a good laugh as I was brushing the sand off my feet to put on my ski touring boots. Where else, but Lake Tahoe?
It was hot and sunny, so we donned shorts and t-shirts and did a great tour out and around some peak I don't know the name of. We found a hot rock with a spectacular view of the entire lake, hopped around like lizards, had our lunch and a nap. Bliss--it was a very special day! Don't get too many of those in a lifetime. We'll be back up over Memorial Day, except this time, in addition to the skis and the kayak which are already up there--I'm taking my mountain bike so we can hit some of the lower elevation trails.

That's MY kinda triathlon!

No comments: