Friday, March 24, 2006

An Issue of Trust

When I lived in New York City, I had a very good friend I worked with who had emigrated from Russia about 5 years before I met him. The day he was granted full U.S. citizenship he literally cried tears of joy. Aside from the day he left Russia it was one of the happiest days of his life. I learned a lot about Russia from him--usually over a glass of vodka. Culture, politics, curse words, proper toasts and most importantly, how to drink vodka all night without ending up in the gutter. When he spoke of home and his childhood, he seldom if ever had kind words to say. One thing he used to repeat ad nauseum was to never trust a Russian, ever. Surely he had his reasons for this, but I would usually chalk his rantings up as slightly hyperbolic.
I have a feeling he would read this story regarding newly exposed evidence of Russia's role in pre-OIF operations; shake his head, take a long drag on his cigarette, exhale, appear pensive for a moment and say something along the lines of, "well what did you expect?"

No comments: