Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Interview with Frank Black

I spent the summer of 1989 like I spent most summers during that period of my life; as a construction gopher and house painter in eastern Canada. I had been a heavy metal fan for as long as I'd been listening to music, but that summer I had started to feel that I was rapidly outgrowing it's lead-drenched guitar solos and angst-ridden lyrics. New wave had it's appeal, but so much of it got lost in cute keyboard riffs and dumbed-down by drum machines that it never truly satisfied.

One day, one of the guys I worked with showed up with a new tape for the worksite music collection. Ten seconds into the first song I was mesmerized. By the end of the album, though I did not immediately love it, I knew I had heard something unique. I'd never heard such haunting, rythmic, penetrating bass-licks, cryptic lyrics that alternated between being screeched from the soul and hissed between clenched teeth, guitar riffs purposely off key just enough to make you wince but still want more, and drums so tight and lively I though Neil Peart himself must have sat in for the recording session. The name of the band was the Pixies, and the album was Doolittle. (By the way, Ben Sistario has written an excellent book about the making of Doolittle.)

Though the Pixies broke up in 1993, I continue to follow the Pixie's frontman Frank Black's solo career. He's a deep and prolific songwriter (12 overflowing albums to date not counting compilations) who has proven that he can take his sound in any direction he wishes.

Today a friend of mine pointed out a recent Frank Black interview in the Onion's A.V. Club section. I'll paste a couple of the highlights.

AVC: How do you feel about people who show up to your solo shows expecting to hear Pixies songs?

FB: I was a fool once or twice in my life and went to a show thinking, "Hey, when's he going to play those songs?" [Laughs.] I think I went to a Van Morrison show, just ignorantly. Knowing less about him than I do now, feeling a small sense of, not disappointment, but why I did I think he was going to roll into "Brown Eyed Girl?" [Laughs.] Am I a fool? It's fucking Van Morrison. I mean, he's going to do exactly what the hell he wants. So I'm sure there are people who are like, "When is he going to play 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' or 'Here Comes Your Man'? I love that song."



The last time I saw him live the Pixies had just wrapped up their short reunion tour. He was performing a solo acoustic show in a very intimate venue. Two ladies just behind us were obviously expecting a totally different show--one like the Pixies would play. I think they were disappointed because they wouldn't shut up until a guy less polite than I told them go stand by the bar if they wanted to yap. And anybody out there expecting another Pixies album in the near future, Mr. Black has this to say:

AVC: Are there any specific plans for future work with the Pixies?

FB: Not that specific, no. When we've got something to say to the world, we will. I'm really happy that people are interested. "So, what's up with the Pixies record? So, what's up with the Pixies record?" One guy just kept asking me and asking me in an interview, and I kept saying, "I just got done telling you no, there's nothing to report." Finally, he brought it up in some other way, and I was like, "Yeah, actually, June 15 of next year, it's coming out." So sure enough, I started seeing publications: "June 15, the new Pixies record's coming out!" I told him 10 times, "We've got nothing on the books, and I've got nothing to say," and I finally just was being obviously flippant with him. I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is.


I've been painting what is to be our new baby's room the past couple of days and I've had the iPod on "Frank Black shuffle" the whole time. It reminded me of the time many years ago when I first discovered Frank Black--while painting--and illustrated quite nicely how timeless his music remains to me.

No comments: