Friday, July 15, 2005

Bastille Day!

It is a little-known fact that the only reason the rearview mirror was invented was so the French could see the war... thanks for that one Toth!
Went for a beer or 3 lastnight for Bastille Day with the gang. Well if it wouldn't have been Bastille Day I bet we'd have invented another excuse to meet for a pint. I did notice something funny though. It seems that the French have outsourced the celebration to the Irish this year. The french restaurant lined alley that typically hosts the street party was virtually deserted, however the next alley over that is home to a popular Irish pub was in full 135-beat-per-minute swing. I heard something about not getting a permit in time, but c'mon--Bastille happens the same time every year. It's not like it came as a surprise. I will place my tongue firmly in my cheek and proclaim that it is further evidence of the decline of all things French.
So tip your guinness and belt out a hardy "VIVA LA FRANCE!"

No comments: